The objectives of the Norwin Historical Society have remained unchanged from our founding in 1994. We continue to preserve our local history, promote the history of the Norwin Community and embrace the opportunity to educate the Norwin Community about the people, places and events that comprise the history of Irwin, North Irwin, and North Huntingdon Township.
In brief, the Norwin Historical Society:
1. Sponsors an annual “Homes for the Holidays” tour in December,
2. Cares for the grounds of the historic Brush Creek Associate Reformed Church Cemetery,
3. Honors our nation’s war dead on the Sunday immediately before Memorial Day with a military Honor Guard,
4. Assists researchers with genealogy and past local historic events information,
5. Provides speakers to local organizations as requested (including our local and out-of-area schools), and
6. Participates in countywide organizational forums.
The Norwin Historical Society supports and participates with the following organizations:
- Pennsylvania Federation of Museums and Historical Organizations
- Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
- Westmoreland County Historical Society
- Westmoreland Heritage
- Community Foundation of Westmoreland County
- Norwin Chamber of Commerce- Excellence in Education program and Annual Community Picnic
- Norwin Public Library
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Norwin School District- Educational hiking/walking trail and Local History Day
- Eagle Scout Projects
- Irwin Project
- Irwin Business and Professional Association
Through this website, we reach out to others who may have moved away from the area, but still call Norwin home. Through acquisitions and donations of local memorabilia and documents, our goal is to have a more prominent presence within the community.
In closing, we thank you again for your continued support of the Norwin Historical Society
Carl G. Huszar, President